Alisha Henderson Pretzel Party
Get ready for Alisha Henderson's Pretzel Party!! These are so much fun to make - get creative with the toppings or use Alisha's suggestions for a tried and tested delicious pretzel!
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 sachet active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp packed CSR Brown Sugar
- 2 ¼ cups White Wings Plain Flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 1 tsp fine salt
Cheesy Mustard Dip (optional):
- 1 cup tasty cheese
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 50g butter
- ¼ cup cream
- Warm the milk & buttermilk in a saucepan to 43°C - (lukewarm if you don’t have a thermometer!) Pour into a large mixing bowl. Then, sprinkle dry yeast over the top, allow to soften for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar and 1 cup of plain flour with a wooden spoon. Add in the butter, remaining flour & salt and stir.
- Tip the dough out onto the lightly floured bench, and begin to knead. Knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth with a little bit of tackiness.
- Grease a bowl with butter and place the dough in, cover with cling film and leave somewhere warm for 1hr until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Take the dough out, give it a quick punch down and cut it into 6 large pieces.
- Take 1 piece and begin to roll into a very long sausage. We need it to be around 60-70cm. Once rolled, bring the two ends in, wrap them in a twist, then stick each end down towards the centre of the dough to form a pretzel shape (see video for reference) Repeat with all pieces.
- Place the pretzels with enough room to rise on some lined baking trays (I did 2-3 per tray) cover with cling film and allow to proof 10 more minutes. If you want to add some coffee sugar, cheese or other toppings you can do that here.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes (no longer!) and remove from oven.
- Eat warm!! Prepare any toppings you wish, like chocolate glaze or cheesy mustard dip and eat these straight from the oven.
- Pretzels are best on the day, and should be warmed in microwave if they have cooled down.
For the mustard dip:
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and gently melt. Serve hot and dunk pretzels in!