Basic Butter Cake
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1hr 10 mins
Go back to basics with this super simple butter cake, covered in tasty vanilla bean icing!
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 1½ cups (330g) CSR Caster Sugar (superfine)
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cups (260g) White Wings Self Raising Flour
- ⅓ cup (50g) White Wings Plain (all-purpose) Flour
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk vanilla bean icing
- 1½ cups (240g) CSR Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a deep 20cm (8in) square cake pan or deep 22cm (9in) round cake pan, line base and sides of pan with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm (2in) above the sides.
- Beat butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; fold in combined sifted flours and milk in two batches. Spread mixture into pan.
- Bake cake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make vanilla bean icing: Sift icing sugar into a small heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla and enough water to form a firm paste. Place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until the icing is of a spreadable consistency. Do not over-heat.
- Spread icing immediately on the cake, allowing a little to drip over the sides.
This recipe is best made on the day of serving.