Choc Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Icing
Prep: 50 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Chocolatey and delicious, these Choc Cupcakes with Peppermint Buttercream Icing are a great treat for sharing this festive season!
- 250ml milk
- 220g CSR Caster Sugar
- 200g milk chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter
- 225g White Wings Plain Flour
- 75g Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1¼ tsp bicarb soda
- 165ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Mini candy canes & white chocolate to decorate
- 375g softened unsalted butter
- 540g CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- 80ml buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- Red food colouring
- 300ml tall, round jars and ribbon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole muffin pan.
- Melt milk, sugar, chocolate and butter in a saucepan, stir for 5 mins over low heat. Transfer to a large bowl, set aside for 10 mins to cool.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, bicarb and whisk until smooth. Add buttermilk and eggs to batter; gently whisk to combine.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan and bake for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Peppermint buttercream: beat butter and icing sugar in an electric mixer for 5-7 mins until fluffy. Add buttermilk, vanilla and peppermint essence, beat until smooth. Divide two-thirds into a bowl and rest into another bowl. Tint smaller bowl with red food colouring. Spoon plain buttercream into a large piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle. Spoon a small mount of red buttercream on top. Repeat layering until piping bag is full.
- Cut cooled cupcakes in half, equally. Place one cupcake half topside down into each jar. Pipe a 1.5cm layer of buttercream over the cupcake. Repeat layering finishing with buttercream. Decorate with mini candy canes, crushed candy canes and white chocolate curls.