Chocolate Layer Cake
This impressive looking chocolate layer cake is super easy to make, and is sure to impress all.
With thick layers of frosting between soft, crumbly chocolate cake, baking a mouth-watering dessert has never been easier!
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups White Wings Plain Flour, sifted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups CSR Caster Sugar
- Fresh berries to decorate
Chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups CSR Icing Sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line 2x 20cm-round cake tins with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow this to cool to room temperature before adding the cocoa, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs and whisk to combine.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a separate bowl. Add the wet mixture in gradually and whisk until smooth, then whisk on high for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Divide this mixture between cake tins and bake for 45-50 min or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, place the butter in a bowl and mix for 3 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar, cocoa and milk. Mix for a further 5 minutes, until mixture is fluffy and smooth.
- Using a long bread knife, trim the tops of the cakes (if needed) so they are flat. Place one cake layer on a plate and spread with half of the frosting. Place the second layer and top with the remaining frosting. Decorate with fresh berries, sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy!