Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 2 hours (plus 2 hours cooling)
Looking for a classic Pavlova recipe for a summer dessert, Christmas centrepiece or just because? This recipe is a great guide to a delicious pavlova, with a suggested Salted Caramel topping for a sweet finish.
Classic Pavlova Ingredients:
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups CSR Caster Sugar
- 6 tsp White Wings Cornflour
- 1 tsp Cornwell's White Vinegar
Salted Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tsp White Wings Cornflour
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup thickened cream
- ⅔ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 small fresh figs, quartered
- ½ punnet cherries
- Coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celsius conventional or 100 degrees fan forced. Using a 20cm cake pan as a guide, draw a 20cm circle on baking paper. Place paper, pencil side down, onto a greased oven tray.
- Put egg whites and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to high and beat for 15 minutes or until mixture is thick and glossy. Add cornflour and vinegar and beat on low speed for 1 minute longer.
- Spoon mixture onto prepared tray; spread out to a 20cm circle. Bake for 2 hours or until crisp. Turn oven off. Cool pavlova in oven with door ajar for 1-2 hours.
- To make salted caramel sauce place cornflour in a saucepan. Gradually blend in water. Add cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Stir over a medium heat until simmering. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- To make orange cream; using an electric mixer, beat cream until firm peaks form. Add orange zest. Beat on a low speed until just mixed through.
- To decorate; place pavlova on a serving plate. Top with orange cream. Arrange figs and cherries on top of cream. Drizzle with about a quarter of the salted caramel sauce. Scatter with hazelnuts. Serve the extra caramel sauce in a jug.