Custard Filled Donuts with Salted Maple Butterscotch
Prep: 45 mins, plus chilling overnight
Cook: 20 mins
Donuts...filled with custard...covered in salted maple butterscotch. Need I say more?
One bite of these and we can guarantee you'll be back for more.
- 1 packet White Wings Vanilla Bean Custard Mix
- 900ml cold milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 60g unsalted butter
- 4 packets White Wings Baked Donut Bites
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 60ml milk
- 250g melted butter
- Prepare, cook and chill White Wings Vanilla Bean Custard filling as directed.
- For salted maple butterscotch, place maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 mins until caramelised. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Add cream and salt, then whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 200°C conventional (180°C fan-forced). Grease two 12-hole, ½ cup (125mL) capacity muffin pans. Prepare White Wings Baked Donut Bites as directed. Divide donut mixture evenly among prepared pans and bake for 12-14 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Using a paring knife, trim the crusty edges of the donut muffins to shape into balls.
- Transfer vanilla custard mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pierce base of each doughnut with the piping tube and pipe a little custard filling into each.
- Place provided cinnamon sugar in a large bowl. Brush cooled donuts with melted butter and toss in cinnamon sugar to coat. Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle with salted maple butterscotch to serve.