Gluten Free Banana Cake
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
As the old saying goes, you don't need Gluten to make an amazing banana cake. This recipe shows you exactly how to do just that in 4 easy to follow steps.
- 125g margarine spread or chopped butter
- ¾ cup CSR Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 large) mashed, very ripe bananas
- 1 (59g) egg
- 1½ cups White Wings Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 2½ Tbsp milk
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 125g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1½ cups CSR Pure Icing Sugar, sifted
- 50g margarine spread or softened butter
- Preheat oven to 170ºC conventional or 150ºC fan-forced. Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
- Put margarine spread or butter , sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Stir over a moderate heat until it melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir bananas into butter mixture. Add egg, flour and milk; stir to combine. Mix in walnuts. Poor into prepared pan and smooth surface. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- To make frosting: combine 50g margarine spread or soft butter, icing sugar and cream cheese into a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread frosting over the top of the cooled cake.