Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Pizza Scrolls for lunch or dinner! The kids will love these in their lunch boxes, and it makes for a great dinner hack too. A delicious recipe by The Australian Women's Weekly.
- 2 cups (300g) White Wings Self-Raising Flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50g (1½oz) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- ¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk, approximately
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- ½ small red onion (50g), sliced thinly
- ½ small green capsicum (bell pepper) (75g), sliced thinly
- 100g (3oz) sliced pepperoni, chopped coarsely
- ½ cup (100g) well-drained pineapple pieces, chopped coarsely (see tips)
- ⅓ cup (55g) drained sliced kalamata olives
- 1 cup (120g) pizza cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Oil a 22cm (9in) square cake pan.
- Sift flour, soda and salt into a medium bowl; rub in butter with your fingertips. Add enough buttermilk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead lightly until smooth. Roll dough into a 30cm x 40cm (12in x 16in) rectangle.
- Spread dough with combined sauces; sprinkle with onion, capsicum, pepperoni, pineapple, olives and half the cheese. Roll dough tightly from long side. Using a serrated knife, trim the ends. Cut roll into 9 slices; place scrolls, cut-side up, in pan. Sprinkle scrolls with remaining cheese.
- Bake scrolls for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
The pineapple must be drained well, otherwise it will make the scrolls soggy. Once the pineapple pieces have been drained from the can, pat them dry with paper towel. These scrolls are delicious eaten warm or cold. For a meat-free version, use thinly sliced swiss brown mushrooms instead of the pepperoni.